7.29.2011

Easy Italian Summer Vegetables

I promise this is the last Sweet Pea recipe for a while. I found this recipe last fall and held onto it waiting for all the veggies to come into season. It was SO worth it, I've made this three times in the past two weeks, once just for me. I hope you enjoy.

4-5 cups diced vegetables (I used about 2 ears of corn, straight off the cob--no need to boil, 2 yellow squash, and a zucchini, but you can use cucumber, sweet peas or even thawed frozen green beans)
1/4 cup sliced red onion
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup mozzarella, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (or apple cider or rice wine)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Combine vegetables, onion, basil and mozzarella in a medium or large bowl.

Add the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir well.

Let sit for at least one hour before serving. The vinegar in the dressing "cooks" the vegetables a bit and they are soft to eat.

Serves 4-6.


I used all the veggies and the vinegar it called for, not the suggested substitutions. I also made this once without the red onion because I was in a hurry, very regrettable decision. It was still good, but not great. I also never had fresh basil but I'm sure that would make this stupendous. It's hard to win me over with vegetables but this may be a first.

No comments: