Matthew and I LOVE this quick and insanely delicious sandwich, not to mention filling because you can make as many as you'd like. I found it back in the spring and we have decided we love these sandwiches any month and for any meal. I don't have any photos of our sandwiches because we eat ours the moment they are done. So, for more photos and a step by step you can check out the recipe at, Jamie Cooks It Up!.
My advice: The sauce is awesome and you should go with making it strong, but the sandwich can stand on it's own two feet if you decide to go a bit more mellow. I also guesstimate on all the measurements because you can't go wrong with making it how you like it. Load up everything how you like and you will have a filling and amazing tasting sandwich.
1 loaf french bread
1 1/2 - 2 pounds thinly sliced turkey
1 pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese
2 - 3 tomatoes
1 C mayonnaise
1 1/2 T stone ground mustard (you can use plain mustard if that is all you have)
1 1/2 T red onion, chopped fine (if you want more add more)
1 t dried thyme (1/2 tsp ground thyme works too)
1. Stir all ingredients for sauce together in a bowl
2. Butter one side of bread, plop it in a small skillet pan, spread on the sauce, cheese, tomatoes, turkey and then butter and sauce up the other piece of bread and place it on top. (Make it like you were making a grilled cheese sandwich- EASY)
3. I sometimes cover the pan with a lid if my cheese is a bit thicker and needs help melting, but you don't need to use a lid.
4. Flip it over and cook the other side
5. Cut it diagonally (it tastes better).